Ashdale Secondary College operates on the belief that all students have the ability and the right to learn. Promoting positive student behaviour is a shared responsibility with students, parents and teachers working to create a safe, caring and productive learning environment. Our Student Engagement Policy is underpinned by the principles of rights and responsibilities of students. Fundamentally no student has the right to choose behaviour that infringes upon the rights of others. Specifically our policy advises that all students;
have the right to:
- learn without disruption;
- be treated courteously and respectfully;
- work in a clean environment and have their property respected;
- work in a safe environment; and
- reach their potential.
and the responsibility to:
- allow others to learn
- treat others courteously and respectfully and to follow teachers’ instructions without comment;
- contribute to a clean environment and respect student, staff and school property;
- behave in a manner that ensures the safety of everyone, including self; and
- participate fully in their educational program.
The modification of student behaviour in breach of these expectations is managed through a combination of student self-reflection and regulation, and the application of clear and reasonable consequences.