English Courses at a Glance
The Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) course focuses on developing students’ analytical, creative, and critical thinking and communication skills in all language modes, encouraging students to critically engage with texts from their contemporary world, the past, and from Australian and other cultures.
- is examined by the Schools Curriculum and Standards Authority.
- is used by the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC) to calculate a student’s Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR).
The English General course is designed to provide students with the skills to succeed in a wide range of post-secondary pathways by developing their language, literacy and literary skills.
- is not externally examined
- has an externally set task (EST) which is set by the Authority
- is designed for students who are typically aiming to enter further vocationally based training or the workforce directly from school.
- may be used for alternative entry to some university courses. Information about alternative entry should be sought directly from universities.